1. Drink water throughout the day. Most of us don’t get the amount of water we should. There are so many health benefits to drinking water. One important fact that many people do not know is, water speeds up your metabolism which helps you burn fat throughout the day. Men should consume 4 litres and women should consume 2 litres of water per day.
2. Steam your Vegetables. Most of the nutrients are lost in the water when you boil vegetables. Steam them whenever you can. If you have a chance to throw them on the BBQ, that is also a better choice.
3. Don’t skip breakfast. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. We are doing exactly what the name says, breaking a fast. Our metabolism comes to a screeching halt without having food in our bodies for 6-8 hours, depending on how long you sleep. The first thing you should do when you wake up is get that metabolism burning again. You will also have more energy and feel better about yourself.
4. Make small adjustments to your diet. Don’t make drastic changes all at once. Ease into a healthier lifestyle. Taking small steps is the best way to go about it. A couple examples would be, change white bread to whole wheat and drink low fat milk instead of milk with higher fat content. If you make little adjustments it will be easier in the long run.
5. Exercise. We need to exercise and be active to be healthy. There are many health benefits to exercise. A couple worth noting are Heart Disease and Osteoporosis (loss of bone density). You should get at least 30mins of some sort of activity every day.
6. Prepare. Preparation is everything. It’s easy to grab the closest thing in the cupboard when you’re hungry. Make sure you have food prepared, cooked and ready so when you want something to eat you aren’t snacking on junk food.
7. Eat small balanced meals through the day. I’m sure you’ve heard this one a thousand times. This one is all about metabolism. We can’t lift weights or do cardio all day long, but we can keep our metabolism burning. We do this by eating balanced meals every few hours. Eating well balanced meals will prevent you from snacking on unhealthy foods and keep you burning fat when you aren’t being active.
8. Balanced Meals. This one goes right along with the above tip. A balanced meal consists of protein, fat, fibre and complex carbohydrates. These should all be included in some way in every meal.
9. Quick Fixes. Diets and quick fixes don’t work. Living a healthy lifestyle is a choice. Choose to live a better healthier life by exercising and eating right. Don’t expect huge changes over night. You have been living your life a certain way for years. Give your body some time to adapt to the healthier decisions you make.
10. Set Goals. Set yourself one large goal, and then break down this goal into smaller reachable goals. This is a process. Take small steps towards each goal on your way to the top of your mountain. Focus on the smaller steps and before you know it you’ll be standing at the top looking down.